- Donate money to your friend’s favorite charity.
- My favorite birthday gift is an “experience gift”, Package free gifting, gift experiences instead of things (My best friend Allie – gifted me 2 scuba dives for graduation, cannot begin to tell you how much I loved it!) Other ideas are going hiking, scuba diving, kayaking with friends and family.
- Find ways to wrap gifts without plastic tape, single use wrapping paper. Pack gifts in newspaper, paper bags or cloth bags are an excellent alternative to conventional gift wrap. (How about newspaper and jute twig?)
- Give seeds and flower bouquets with no plastic associated with it
- Get crafty and make your friends things. Make DIY handmade gifts like candles, bath salts etc
- Party giveaways ideas: a small potted plant, homemade treats in a reusable container, or a cookie/cake mix in a jar?
- Buy local gifts supporting local small businesses, social enterprises (ethical clothing, wooden toys for children rather than plastic toys)
Illustration by Noorain Ahmed